• editor.aipublications@gmail.com
  • Track Your Paper
  • Contact Us
  • ISSN: 2456-7817

International Journal Of Engineering, Business And Management(IJEBM)

Determinants of Emerging Capital Markets Development: A Case of Dar Es Salaam Stock Exchange

Democracy Suleiman , Crispin John Mbogo


International Journal of Engineering, Business And Management(IJEBM), Vol-6,Issue-3, May - June 2022, Pages 69-78 , 10.22161/ijebm.6.3.8

Download | Downloads : | Total View : 547

Article Info: Received: 15 May 2022; Received in revised form: 04 Jun 2022; Accepted: 10 Jun 2022; Available online: 17 Jun 2022

Share

This study aims to assess determinants of emerging capital markets development with particular reference to Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange (DSE). Specifically, the study aimed to analyze influence of legal and institutional framework, influence of political and macroeconomic stability and effects of broadening the investors’ base on capital markets development. The study employed time series research design. Data from statistical observations were recorded in a duration of 10 years (2011-202) on capital market development in relation to macroeconomic factors including liquidity in the stock market, investment, banking sector expansion and foreign direct investment. The regression findings correspondingly showed that the multiple determination coefficient R2 is 0.9272. The result showed that the exogenous variables (INTR, INFL, EXCHR, NINFA and LFW) are explained by 92.72% of the variations in dependent variable (CMD) while remaining 7.28 % are attributed to other factors not considered in the model are to blame. In addition, Durbin Watson (DW) statistics of 1 were disclosed in the results. The study recommends that small and medium businesses, which play a significant role in Tanzania's economy, should also be encouraged to engage in the stock market. A systematic and comprehensive investment promotion and facilitation plan that suits Tanzania's interests is required. Savings habit must be encouraged in the country by government policies that favour it. Also, as a country attracts foreign investment, more jobs become available, and individuals have more money to save. In addition, foreign direct investment adds management and technology transfer capabilities.

Capital market development, political and macroeconomic stability, broadening the investors.

[1] Apergis, T. &. (2016). Capital Markets, Infrastructure Investment and Growth in the Asia Pacific Region. International Journal of Financial studies, 1.
[2] Al-faki, M. (2016), The Nigerian capital market and socio-economic development, Public Lectures, University of Benin, Nigeria.
[3] Billmeier& Mussa. (2020). What Drives Stock Market Development in the Middle East and Central Asia--Institutions, Remittances, or Natural Resources? Researchgate, 5-10.
[4] Chepkoiwo. (2017). factors affecting the development of emerging capital markets. The case of nairob1 stock exchange. 1-4.
[5] Cherif, M., Gazdar, K. (2018), Institutional and macroeconomic determinants of stock market development in MENA region: New results from a panel data analysis. International Journal of Banking and Finance, 7(1), 139-159.
[6] Doku,Adjasi& Kumankuma. (2016). Financial market development and capital. S e r b i a n Journal of Management, 1.
[7] El-Wassal, K.A. (2018). The development of stock markets: In search of a theory. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3(3), 606-624.
[8] IMF. (2017). Global Financial Stability Report. Washington, DC : World Economic and Financial Surveys.
[9] Molefhi. (2019). Financial Inclusion and its Impact on Employment Creation in Bostwana. Bostwana: BIDPA.
[10] Motswapo, M. (2019). The Impact of Macroeconomic Variables on Capital Market Development in Botswana’s Economy. BIDPA Working Paper, 1-2.
[11] Msangi, P. (2015). The determinant of capital market in Tanzania: A case study of Dar es salaam Stock exchange. Dar es salaam: Open university.
[12] Omodero, C. (2019). Capital Market Determinants and Market Capitalization in Nigeria. International Journal of Financial Research, 462.
[13] Schizas, E. (2015). The rise of capital markets in emerging and frontier economies. ACCA, 1.
[14] Shirima,Chalu & Ndiege. (2020). Relationship between performance measurement system aspects among agricultural marketing co-operative societies in Rombo district, Tanzania. Moshi: East African Journal of Social and Applied Sciences.
[15] Trochim, W. (2020). Sampling. Research method knowledge base, 1.
[16] Yartey, C. A & Adjasi, C. K. (2007). “Stock Market Development in Sub Saharan Africa: Critical Issues and Challenges’’ IMF Working Paper, WP/07/209.
[17] Yartey. (2018). Determinants of Stock Market Development in Emerging Economies; Is South Africa Different? IMF working paperWP/08/32Washington, International Monetary Fund., 6-10.